Monday, October 31, 2011

Power is back on

Power is finally back on in our part of town..... 36 hours after losing it. Over 100,000 people are still without electricity including my parents. None of us doubted that there would be snow but no expected that practically the whole state of Massachusett's and Connecticut would be without electricity. The saturday snow storm began at 2:00 in the afternoon. The snow flakes came down large and fast. Within the first hour over an inch had already accumulated.


During the early part of the storm I went out to take some pictures of the rare sight, colorful flowers with snow on them.


I spent the rest of the afternoon working on my Pinterest Project while Johnny played video games with my brothers online. Outside there was snow, and flashes of lighning followed by thunder. A type of storm I have never experienced before. At about 9:00pm my brothers got disconnected from the internet which meant sure news that they had lost power. It was only a matter of time before we lost ours (1 hour to be exact). I went outside to take some pictures of the snow. It was no ordinary snow. It was so heavy that it was pulling down all the trees.


This was a tree that hung across our driveway. Very unusual. Blizzards don't even have this effect on the trees. I'm no scientist but the only reason I could come up with for this phenomenom is that the trees were still very much alive, with water and sap flowing through them. This would make the trees more flexible. During the winter all this water and sap is usually frozen so it makes the trees stiff and strong. The leaves on the trees also made the trees heavy. I didn't stay outside too long because the eerie silence scared me. The only thing that you could hear was branches snapping.

No power meant no heat, no entertainment, and no lights. The only thing to do was to bundle up in blankets and go to bed. The next morning I woke up to the beautiful frost covered trees. Not a single cloud in the sky. I immediately grabbed my camera to take pictures but to my disappointment the battery was dead! I couldn't charge it without electricity! I figured I could at least get some pictures on my phone but that too had no battery! I'm still kicking myself for not being prepared and charging everything. Thankfully my brother was able to get some pictures. Tomorrow I will upload those so you all can see the damage done. I also plan on posting about my Pinterest Project - The Proposal Pillow. It tells the story of how my hubby proposed to me and the memorabilia I have made for it.

As you may have assumed - with a state of emergency in effect the closing for my house has been postponed until tomorrow or November 3rd at the latest.



No comments:

Post a Comment