Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Sewing Machine

After making pillows for the first time with Keeana I decided that I wanted to make more! In the past I owned a sewing machine but I never knew how to use it. Earlier this week I decided to rummage through my parents basement to find my sewing machine. And there is was..... Dusty, Musty and Rusty. I took it home, cleaned it up and tinkered with it a bit until I finally realized that the machine was more complex than I had imagined. I watched a few Youtube videos on how to thread a sewing machine and bobbin, and unsuccessfully attempted to do it myself.  Finally, I left the sewing machine feeling very frustrated. Then a thought popped in my mind. We have all become so handicapped by technology. Think about it. If we can't find a clicker - then we automatically think we can't watch TV. We get ourselves all worked up looking for the darn thing that the thought never crosses our mind that we can manually change the channel. I decided instead of being frustrated about the sewing machine, I would become the sewing machine and manually hand stitch the pillow myself. Now I will admit, sewing machines make our lives much easier. A project that could have taken me 10 minutes took me about an hour. At least I can proudly say that I know how to hand sew a pillow. On the otherhand, when I finally learn how to use a sewing machine I will thank Isaac Singer everytime I use it, not only for saving us time and making us more efficient but also for saving us from pricking our fingers!
This is my crooked hand stitching job!

Imagine if I had made a bigger pillow!

Thank you Isaac Singer!

No comments:

Post a Comment